Now that spring has finally arrived, it’s time to get your chimney swept and to service your wood burning or multi fuel stove ready for the autumn.
At the end of each heating season, as well as having your chimney swept, your stove or fire should undergo an annual service which will include stripping, inspecting and cleaning the appliance. Although this is best carried out for you by a HETAS registered engineer, you can do it yourself by following the general guide below but specific instructions are given in your user’s manual:
Vacuum any remaining ash and debris from inside the appliance
- Allow the appliance to cool
- Remove all the following internal parts – baffle, firebricks, grate and ashpan. Take care handling the bricks as they can become fragile after a period of use.
- Vacuum any remaining ash and debris from inside the appliance (Stovax offer a filter/collection attachment for vacuum cleaners using dust bags – Ashclean)
- Clean the internal surfaces using a wire brush and scraper as required. Vacuum and resulting debris
- Clean the grate and any grate parts with a wire brush and check for any damage, replace any damaged parts
- Clean the firebricks with a soft brush, check the bricks and although some surface wear and tear will occur with use, damaged or broken bricks should be replaced
- Re-fit all cleaned internal parts and replacement parts
- Remove the glass from the door and discard old or worn rope seal
- Clean old glue from the groove which held the rope seal
- Replace the rope seal, gluing into place with a thermic seal adhesive, and re-fit the glass
- Lightly oil the door catch mechanism and hinge pins
- To refresh the exterior look of your stove or fire, aerosol paint or colloidal black cleaner is available for most painted finishes. Enamelled surfaces should only be cleaned with a lightly dampened, soft cloth only.
Click here to see Stovax’s range of Care and Maintenance products designed to help you undertake the annual service. All items are available from your local Stovax retailer.
Your local Stovax retailer should also be able to arrange the annual service for you, if you prefer, or you can find details of HETAS registered engineers by visiting www.hetas.co.uk.
Leave a Reply