Nothing creates the perfect ambiance on a cold winter’s day than the warmth from a wood burner. The popularity of burning wood has significantly increased in the last few years and some of the reasons for this include: controlling costs by moving to a more sustainable fuel, wanting to become more carbon-neutral or simply wanting to enjoy a real fire! This has created a demand from stove and fire manufacturers to design highly efficient and stylish wood burners that can be enjoyed in a range of homes.
If you are a homeowner looking to install a wood burner, here are the Top 10 reasons why you should purchase one today.
1. Wood is a renewable energy and helps save on monthly bills
With rising fuel costs, many homeowners are seeking alternative ways to heat their homes. Burning wood is not only better for the environment but it can also offer a carbon neutral, wholly sustainable heat source.Wood is renewable and burning it is a carbon-neutral process, so the amount of CO2 it releases into the atmosphere as it burns is the same as that absorbed by a tree as it grows. If you are looking for local wood suppliers for your wood burning stove or fire, it is integral to select suppliers with sustainable plantations and cultivated woodland. This helps improve biodiversity, support jobs in the forestry industry and ensure that there is enough timber to meet future demands in years to come.
2. Airwash technologyMost wood burners integrate Airwash technology which is achieved by air being drawn into the top of the stove and heated in the central air chamber before being directed down behind the glass door to create a screen between the fire and the glass. As a result, fuller flames can be enjoyed from the fire without the glass becoming streaked with soot.
3. Cleanburn technology
Cleanburn technology is another feature that can be found in a wood burning stove or fire. It is a system by which warm air is introduced into the firebox just above the normal height of the fire. The effect is to allow the combustion of unburned hydrocarbons in the smoke stream which provides a “cleaner burn” (i.e less soot particles going up the chimney/flue and into the atmosphere). This also generates more heat into the room and less going up the chimney.
4. CE ApprovedAll Stovax wood burning stoves and fires are CE marked. This means that they have been independently tested to exacting European standards for both heating efficiency and emissions. This widely recognised acknowledgement of the highest standards is a testament to our commitment to employing the best procedures and practices and creating the very finest, quality appliances.
5. Highly efficient wood burning stoves and fires
Open fires usually have an efficiency of up to 10-20% where as a wood burning stove or fire will have a heating efficiency of up to 86%. High efficiency wood burners maintain most of the heat inside your home with less going to waste up the chimney.
6. Suitability for Smoke Control AreasOne of the major developments in stove design is the extensive availability of wood burners that are suitable for use in Smoke Control Areas. Living in a Smoke Control Area means that homes are not allowed to emit any smoke from their chimney when using a wood burner. If you own a wood burning stove or fire that is not exempt, please visit DEFRA to see a list of authorised smokeless fuels that you may be allowed to burn. Otherwise, seek advice from your local retailer to find out about installing a Smoke Control kit in your non-exempt wood burner. If you are looking to fit a wood burning stove or fire in your urban home, city dwellers can now choose from the vast majority of wood burners that are suitable for use in Smoke Control Areas.
7. Suitability for use in properties without a chimney
Homeowners without a chimney now have the possibility to add a wood burning stove or fire into their properties. By fitting a twin-wall pipe system such as the Stovax Professional XQ™, you are now able to enjoy the flames of a real log fire in your home. This will also allow you to investigate other rooms such as conservatories or family rooms which would benefit from the focal point a wood burner creates.
8. A wide selection of wood burning stoves and fires
For over 30 years, Stovax has been dedicated to the development, manufacturing and distribution of high quality wood burning and multi-fuel stoves, fires and fireplaces. Stovax currently offer the largest range of traditional and contemporary designs in the UK and if you are looking at installing a double sided inset wood burning fire, the Stovax Riva Studio Duplex is the perfect connecting feature between two separate rooms. Alternatively, why not opt for popular wood burning stoves such as Stockton, Huntingdon and Brunel – these traditional stoves would be a perfect addition to your home’s hearth or inglenook. For those that would like to supply their own hot water and central heating, our high output wood burning stoves can help you reduce your reliance on gas or oil.
9. 5 year Extended Warranty for your wood burning stove or fireStovax wood burners are given the best care to ensure that they are designed, tested and manufactured to the highest possible quality and safety standards, therefore Stovax provide a 5 year extended warranty for your wood burning stove or fire.We always recommend that you buy our wood burning stoves and fires from experienced, independent retailers so that they are sold and installed correctly enabling you to enjoy many years of pleasure from your purchase. Please also note that this warranty is only available if you have purchased your product from our Expert Retailer Network and registered within one moth of purchase or installation. Please visit our warranty page for more detailed information.
10. An extensive selection of expert retailers
Before you make a purchase, we strongly recommend that you consult with an independent retailer to ensure you get adequate, professional advice. An expert retailer will be able to assist you with every step of your stove or fire purchase, from assessing your home, selecting the right product, correct installation and aftersales support. They will also be able to show you a selection of appliances locally in their showroom – often fully operational – so you can get a good idea of what a fire or stove looks like when burning. It is also vitally important that your chosen installer is approved and up to date with the latest regulations. To find out more, visit HETAS, who are the ‘official body recognised by Government to approve biomass and solid fuel domestic heating appliances, fuels and services including the registration of competent installers and servicing businesses’ at www.hetas.co.uk. For a wide selection of handy guides to basic maintenance tasks, Stovax also offer consumers a number of free instructional videos that can be viewed at www.stovax.tv. These include giving advice on many aspects of wood burning stoves such as how to light your stove to re-roping a door seal and identifying good firewood.
Having a perfect fire and achieving the ultimate look for your home not only gives you a sense of fulfilment, but also rewards you and your living space.