As well as getting your chimney swept by a qualified chimney sweep, there are other things that need to be done to ensure that your wood burning or multi-fuel appliance is ready to go for the winter season. All of these are best executed by a HETAS registered, qualified engineer, however there are things that can be done yourself by following the guidelines below and referring to the manual provided with your wood-burning fire or wood-burning stove.
- Always allow the appliance to cool before carrying out any cleaning or maintenance
- Remove all the following internal parts – baffle, firebricks, grate and ashpan. This can be done by following the specific instructions provided with your wood burning or multi fuel fire or stove.(Please do not remove the firebricks from the Studio or Vision)
- It is incredibly important that you take care when handling the fire bricks as they can become fragile after use.
- Vacuum any remaining ash and debris from inside the appliance (Stovax offer a filter/collection attachment for vacuum cleaners using dust bags –Ashclean)
- Clean the internal surfaces using a wire brush and scraper as required.
- Any debris can be vacuumed as above
- Clean the grate and any grate parts with a wire brush and check for any damage, replace any damaged parts
- Clean the firebricks with a soft brush, check the bricks and although some surface wear and tear will occur with use, damaged or broken bricks should be replaced
- Re-fit all cleaned internal parts and replacement parts
- Discard old or worn rope seal
- Clean old glue from the groove which held the rope seal
- Replace the rope seal, gluing into place with a thermic seal adhesive, and re-fit the glass
- Lightly oil the door catch mechanism and hinge pins
- To refresh the exterior look of your stove or fire, aerosol paint or colloidal black cleaner is available for most painted finishes. Enamelled surfaces should only be cleaned with a lightly dampened, soft cloth only.
Stovax have a great range of products and tools that can help you clean your wood burning or multi-fuel stove or fire. You can find out more information about these products on this site, or by contacting your local Stovax retailer.
If you would rather hire a qualified engineer to clean and service your multi-fuel or wood burning appliance you local Stovax retailer should be able to arrange this for you, or you can find the details of these engineers by visiting www.hetas.co.uk.